Home Insulation Project: DIY or Pro?
DIY installationWithout the necessary expertise to select and properly install home insulation, you could run up against problems like:
- Moldy insulation.
- A rotting structure.
- Installing insulation around exhaust vents, ductwork and other obstructions.
- Balancing ventilation and insulation.
- Choosing the right insulation R-value.
- Assessing the amount of existing insulation and calculating how much new insulation to install.
- Installing insulation in walls without noticeably damaging the home.
Professional insulation installers know how to evaluate your home's existing insulation and choose the right R-value and the proper type of insulation to ensure your home performs. During installation, your installer can tackle challenges like:
- Damaged insulation, such as damp or wet insulation.
- Properly removing mold.
- Installing insulation in an existing home without damaging walls, ceilings, etc.
- Knowing the signs of a rotting structure.
- Accessing hard-to-reach spaces.
- Creating a symbiosis between ventilation and insulation in the attic.
- Air sealing the areas behind insulation, such as recessed lights, plumbing vents, kneewalls and so forth.
- Creating proper barriers around vents, lighting, etc. before installing insulation.